Sunday, August 19, 2007

One Week

Wednesday August 15th, 2007 is the day we landed in Entebbe. It has been one week. So why does is it seem that we have been here so much longer. Maybe it is the transition from the Western world to Africa. Maybe it is the "back to basics" mentality that we have had to adopt. Hmm.
For me it is the clash of western world modern ideals and Uganda's adaptation to it. We have very modern conveniences here. Cell phones, Internet cafes, electricity. But to get to the Internet cafe I have to pass by mud huts, dirt roads, and bike taxis? People take bucket baths and cook on charcoal stoves outside, but use a cell phone to call next door to borrow more oil for the stew? Why is there no waste management system, but there is a cell phone dealer on every corner? There is an obvious gap in so-called "progress".
However, it is interesting to work with people who know way more than I do about navigating the world wide web, but do not know how to use Microsoft Word. Here, people have been catapulted into the 21st century without having to go through the trial and errors we did with technology. Cell phones have swept Eastern Africa, but basic telephone lines hardly made a dent here. Whereas in the US- basic phone lines are now almost obsolete. I love the fact that I was able to watch Drum Line (the movie) on cable last night but I resented the fact that I had to run out to the pit latrine during the commercial breaks. It makes you wonder.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Renee,
Pat Blackwell here. Kim gave me your web address. VERY INTERESTING.
Had a friend who went to Nigeria, she wouldn't eat the food, subsited on canned tuna and peanut butter for a week!!!
Good luck on this Chapter in your life.
Many Hugs to you!!!

Pat Blackwell (Kim's friend)

Unknown said...

Hey Renee, I got your cell phone number from Kisha. I will be giving you a call soon. I can't believe it's only been a week either. Thanks for keeping us updated. Eddie and I love you and miss you.

Anonymous said...

Mulembe ni kodh'eyo na osiibye otya.

I am in "modern" Iganga typing on the internet in my house but I still have a pit latrine. I do have electricity stolen from UMEME (Tyenda UMEME).

Bondo ni ebidhandhaali are your friends so are rolexes - and I don't mean the fancy watches. Somehow.

Say hello to Gulere for us. Weraba.

Anonymous said...

Hey Renee, I'm glad you are doing well. It does feel like more than a week since you left. Nice pictures. Make sure you take a picture of the big frogs before you run away, lol. Keep the blogs coming, your life is very interesting compared to ours. Thanks again for the voucher, I leave Friday for Chicago. Then I fly to Colorado on Monday to work for a week. Gotta love the short notices I get from the job. I guess thats kinda close to Rhea but not close enough. I miss you and think about you every day. P.S. I have a Mary Kay website now if any of your friends want to order something online (hint hint)http://www.marykay.com/sjohns00. Take care of yourself. Love ya! -SJ

Anonymous said...

It was great talking with you the other day. We love you.
you will get use to the lifestyle and make needed changes (pit-latrine) smile.
I'll call you later in the week.
Joyce said send a list of food items so we can try them out. No frogs, I'll wait till you get back if that's ok with you.

Keep up the good work.
love dad and joyce

Anonymous said...

Be easy, Renee. With time you will adapt and appreciate all that life has to offer. Remember everything happens for a reason and this experience will only make you greater, stronger, and happier (believe it or not)!!

I miss you dearly, but my cell phone charges are off the hook from the first week and now I only have a few minutes on a $14.99 calling card, so future calls are reserved for pressing moments that you need a pick me up.

I hope we get the house rented soon...if anyone knows of someone email natalie may asap! natalie.may@wpminc.net.

Anyhooo...love ya and talk to you soon.

Onyx said...

Hey Nee
We miss you and love you. I really liked the pics hope to hear from you soon .
love
angie stinky tony kir and rod

Anonymous said...

Hello Renee
we got your mail and the kids were very excited.
This weekend we will sit down and write back, sorry havent taken any pictures since you've been gone. maybe i can send you some of the ones i know you dont have.
We all miss you and love you very much.
Love You
Mike Ta Dre Jah & Mya

Rob Partin said...

Hey Renee,

Just checking out the website. Hope things are well and I'm keeping you in my prayers. Saw some good looking girls on the bus you were own. Would you get me their numbers :)

Later!