Monday, May 5, 2008

Positives and Expectations

“Focus on the positives.” –A Youth Center Leader
“Set your expectations low.” –A Former APCD

So should I have POSITIVE EXPECTATIONS or should I ALWAYS EXPECT THE POSITIVE? Ok, maybe both.

So, keeping those 2 statements in mind. Here is a quick re-cap of an activity that I had the chance to plan, implement, and evaluate. Finally! A good use of my degree in Health Education. Ok, I will leave the sarcasm behind and stay focused on the positives.

We planned an intershool debate involving 5 secondary schools. The major focus was about adolescent reproductive health and HIV/AIDS. The activity was a success. We had over 300 students attending the activity. We paired the debate with an opportunity for the students to test for HIV and showed a series of films about sexual reproductive health that led to great discussions on various topics.

I was impressed at how involved all the students were in the debate. We only had 10 students on the panel, but the audience was full of eager participants to offer comments. The debate went so well, the students were upset when we had to end and begin the films.

Afterwards, many students and teachers were asking when we would do another debate and hoping that their own school would have the chance to host the function. I am excited about their enthusiasm and see this as a great way to educate on all sorts of issues facing youth. HIV, Violence Prevention, Sexual Harassment, Career Goals, and even Lifeskills.

I will post pics from this activity at a later time. And as more activities come…I will post info and pics. (Ok, that wasn’t too sarcastic was it?)

Peace

Renee

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Afternoon Sweetie,
Glad to know all is well and that God is still in the blessing busines. This project was awesome and truly blessed of the Lord. I am so proud of what you are doing. Keep up the good work and send us updates perodically and of course pictures. I will talk to you soon. Love you very much and continued blessings from the Lord. Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Sup Renee. Glad to see your good works is being received. Hope all is well with you. Just know that you are on my prayer list. Luv Ya!!!

Kisha Summerson b.k.a Happy Face #30 :>)

Anonymous said...

Hey Marquita,

I am glad that all is well and the bebe's and I are doing just find. Just remember that we LOVE you MUCH!!!!!!!!!!

Paula, PrestiQue, and Jacobs III

Anonymous said...

Reene, Kodheeyo Mukagwa. Leero lunaku lukulu inho. Katonda ayambe Amerika! Ndi walala niimwe. Greetings to all our friends in the struggle.

Gulere Cornelius
wcg500@york.ac.uk