Sunday, October 21, 2007

Another Note on Weight

Ok, Sunday October 21, 2007.3:20 pm I ALMOST died. I set out on my first biking expedition. I was going to visit one of my fellow PCV's to assist him with some painting. He lives approximately 8 km (or less) from my house. It was a beautiful day. The sun was shining and every so often a cloud would come by for a hint of shade. The first leg of my journey was level terrain with a slight down slope. I was making great time. As I passed all my well-wishers waving to me on the road I felt a sense of accomplishment. The kind of feeling that one gets when you know whatever the task is ahead is doable, accomplishable, and yours for the taking. As I continued my journey I discovered that my well-wishers were in fact not wishing me well. They were laughing at me! They yelled "Muzungu!" (white person), "Hey sports lady!" ( I had on my Heritage softball visor and shades. It was hot and dusty!), and "Kinene!" (which means big in Lusoga) All the while I was greeting them with "Jambo!" and "Kodheeyo!" I wasn't really upset by all the laughs and stares, until the level terrain eventually turned into monster hills and mountains that seemed to slope upward to the heavens. I had to stop and walk my bike up. Then I was face to face with my "well-wishers." While I was pushing me and my bike up the hill, a old man who was carrying another person on the back of his bike and a 10-yr old boy carrying a load of matooke on his bike all passed me! 10 minutes later when I made it to the top of the hill they were long gone. As the terrain sloped downward again I noticed that there were endless hills ahead. I was never going to make it! I finally discovered what all my "well-wishers" already knew- This African terrain was not made for me. Then I had to laugh to keep myself from crying. I looked around to see how far I was from my destination and I knew I was a goner.

At 4:20 I FINALLY reached my fellow PCV's house. I threw my bike on the ground and almost cried. But I had made it. One hour later. A 8km bike ride that takes him normally 15 min took me an hour, but I made it. I told him, I was taking a taxi back to town and that my biking to his house wouldn't be happening again. Not anytime soon. I think I will need at least another month of training to make it to his house in a good time.

No comments: